Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Angel again!

Yesterday I learned something about uploading files. I've been uploading them under the 'Associate' tab whereas they should be uploaded in the Content tab so that they become part of the course and can be used again. When they are in the 'associate' section, they aren't continuously listed as course content.

I also learned how to use the 'Map' section. All components are listed on the course map. So if I want to put a link to a quiz, game, page or discussion forum, on another page, I can create a hyperlink to it by selecting the text and clicking 'map.'

It sure would be great to have tips like this posted on a FAQ site but I don't have any permission to post on any shared site. That defeats any attempt at collaboration. However, I did get a response to my post two weeks asking if anyone wanted to collaborate. I was thrilled - there is someone out there who wants to work together!

I spent all last night preparing the tasks for the virtual class today. I logged on early in the morning and received two messages from students that they couldn't access the virtual classroom. They were panicking! Thankfully the problem was corrected in an hour's time and I was able to run my first virtual classroom from the comfort of Dennis' home!

What I thought would be a day of working on my USQ course ended up to be five hours on Angel. One by one students logged on and I wanted to be available. At 12 noon the virtual class started. I asked everyone to run down the list and say hello. Then I introduced the tasks and asked them to read instructions on the Course Announcements. I initially planned to run through an example and started out by sending them an URL for Ontario municipalities. But then I got nervous as some of the negative comments came in.


Unfortunately I've exceeded Twitter's maximum hourly requests. Wonder what that means - I just logged in and tried to tweet!

No comments: