Wednesday, January 9, 2008

All a Twitter

Today I feel empowered! In my two hour class, we worked on Angel and I showed the students how to edit a wiki. They got it!!

I raced home for my 3 pm meeting with Joyce. We started with MSN, moved to Skype but I couldn't hear her, but she could hear me. We messaged back and forth, restarted, I checked my volume, turned on my favorite Classical 96.3 to be sure the speakers were working, sent the URL for my blog so we could try yackpack (which worked), so we couldn't figure it out and decided that both of us would restart. But before I did, Joyce was back online, laughing away, and I could hear her! It was a technical (like plug the correct plug in) problem! Then we really got down to business and opened Firefox, opened KG, opened the Wimba room, opened IE, opened KG, opened the Wimba room, checked out the whiteboard, checked out desktop application, tried to see a tweet on twittervision, checked out twitter map and I learned you tweet with an L: before you tweet and it comes up on the map. There are so many different mashups for twitter and I'm not sure how we'll present them as it takes awhile for the desktop sharing application to show on Wimba. We've decided to do a joint powerpoint on Google Docs which I'm looking forward to experimenting with. I was responding to elemenous's tweet about recording issue and she tweeted back. I find it so absolutely amazing that complete strangers respond - that is the beauty of twitter - constant PD - the mind will never sit idle as long as you can read tweets! I enjoy all the applications I've learned during this course but twitter is the best discovery for me and one I'll continue to use. Earlier today, I was online with Laila from Oman, who I worked with in the spring. She is now working with Joyce on another course - isn't it amazing how we can all know each other. I think it's funny that they call these distance courses because if anything, the distance between us seems minimal.

No comments: